“First, silence makes us pilgrims.
Secondly, Silence guards the fire within.
Thirdly, Silence teaches us to speak.”
~Henri Nouwen, ‘The Way of the Heart’
Whether you are new here or an old friend, you can imagine, given the title of this blog, that this quote about silence guarding the fire within would get my blood pumping.
Thus, reinforcing the vastness of this world, its UNSEEN mysteries, this life and journey we all walk, and supremely the infinite reality of God Eternal Everlasting…leaving me hushed.
More quotes from this highly recommended book, Nouwen’s ‘The Way of the Heart’:
(The Desert Fathers) ‘knew that every conversation tended to interest them in this world, to make them in heart less of strangers here and more of citizens.’ on silence making us pilgrims, p. 43-44
Silence guards the inner heat of religious emotions. The inner heat is the life of the Holy Spirit within us. Thus, silence is the discipline by which the inner fire of God is tended and kept alive. on silence guarding the fire within, p. 45
‘Ideas of value always shun verbosity…timely silence, then, is precious, for it is nothing less than the mother of the wisest thoughts.’ quoting Diadochus, p. 45
What needs to be guarded is the life of the Spirit within us. Especially we who want to witness to the presence of God’s Spirit in the world. p. 47
Our first and foremost task is faithfully to care for the inward fire so that when it is really needed it can offer warmth and light to lost travelers. p. 47
A word with power is a word that comes out of silence. A word that bears fruit is a word that emerges from the silence and returns to it…A word that is not rooted in silence is a weak, powerless word that sounds like a ‘clashing cymbal or a booming gong’ (I Cor. 13:1)… the silence from which the word comes forth is not emptiness and absence, but fullness and presence, not the human silence of embarrassment, shame, or guilt but the divine silence in which love rests secure. ~on silence teaching us to speak, pp. 48-49
So, friends, I choose silence (anew) to train my heart as a pilgrim. To guard this fire within. And to learn to speak out of the richness; the fullness, of God.
Thank you Lord of ALL THAT IS…
- for silence; a humbling vastness that beckons this would-be pilgrim
- for YOU; infinite, rich, full—worth every moment of silence
- for a call to a radically different life in this clamoring, confusing, world
- for the promise that YOU ARE AT WORK
- for all you are doing here in our training:
- for directed teaching to this unique journey we walk
- for many who have gone before and come to meet with us
- for the beauty of a community of nomads who really understand
- for sadness and grief in the leaving as the slowing has occurred
- for helping hubby see lots of stuff this whole-picture woman has been processing
- for his heart to care for all of us
- for the acute realness of the leaving and living overseas that are coming
- for sweet community and a heart struggling to seek it, as the time is so short here…
- for son praying at the dinner table ‘thanks we could give our house (in Florida) back’ simply out-of-the-blue…the reminder of what his little heart is processing
- for baby girl going right into the lap of child care workers day #3 and on!
- for a very Happy Father’s Day
- for an earthly father who has showed me long and hard the sweetness of Abba love~all the more precious for how rare it is…
- for a husband to witness doing the same for our own little lambs
- for a great day together
- for a tired arm from hand-whipping cream for a special Father’s Day treat
- for mango cheesecake made!
- for freezer section yummy sweet potato fries!
- for a date to process and usher in this sweet celebratory day
- for Carolyn leading us in thankfulness and the discipline so quickly stirring
- for too many more to count!!!
- for THE BEST, EVER AND ALWAYS, YET TO COME!!!